12 July 2011

Lately


Lately, I've been listening to music. Searching for songs I can listen to all day and rediscovering faded old music of CD's and records. I recommend "The Writer" by Ellie Goulding and "Marry Me" by Train and "What is a Youth" by Glen Weston and "The Way I Am" by Ingrid Michaelson and "Chasing Pavements" by Adele and "I'll Cover You" from Rent and "Lonely" by 2NE1 and "Je fais de toi mon essentiel" from Le Roi Soleil and "바람, 어디에서 부는지" by 김연우 and "그남자 그여자" by Vibe and anything by Nat King Cole.

Lately, I've been taking classes. Philosophy and Sociology. I thought I'd be bored to death by both, and to a degree, sitting in class for three hours each is not the most interesting thing of the day. But philosophy is interesting--it's simply learning about thinking. How to think, what to think about, what others have thought. There is a lot of lingo, to be sure, and there have been a lot of philosophers who have thought A LOT, but it's interesting nonetheless. Sociology is less thought-provoking, but the class, comprised mainly of older ladies who are or want to be nurses, is very interesting; to look at American society from the perspective of middle-aged American moms and lower-level workers.

Lately, I've been writing. I should admit that I write quite a bit in that sociology class while others are discussing mortgages and drug problems with the elderly.

Lately, I've been reading. Philosophy and sociology books, of course for class, but I've also purchased a copy of Descartes. And currently, I'm multi-tasking on reading like I never have before. War and Peace has been going on for a while, and it finally got to a point where I know all the characters and I don't want to stop reading. Then there's the French version of the first Harry Potter, which I bought to try to keep up my French but isn't going very well. And I'm almost done with the last installment of the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, the Sisterhood Everlasting, which I read at the Barnes & Noble in between classes (my school is an hour away). I also started Emma on my phone during class, and there are two more books I want to read before the summer is over.

Lately, I've been...multi-tasking. In addition to all of the above, there are friendship bracelets-to-be who have all been separated by groups of three colors, waiting to be knotted and braided. There is the guitar that I strum once in a while, still telling myself I'll get into practicing everyday when I have some time. There is the video-filming part time job. There are peaches to be peeled, apples and bananas and orange juice to be made into two bottles of fruit juice smoothie thing, rice to be cooked just right, eggs to be fried, sausages to be boiled, dumplings to be steamed, and fish to be broiled. In other words, learning how to cook and manage a kitchen. There is shopping and restaurant-hopping and coffee-judging. There are also plants to be watered and neighborhoods with green trees to be walked in. And movies to watch, friends to meet, journeys to take, pictures to take, and of course lots of Häagen-Dazs ice cream to eat.

Lately, I've been busily but joyfully living the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment